Royal Doulton was a company that was started by John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts in partnership with a factory at Lambeth in London. The company initially produced products such as stoneware and decorative bottles. In 1853, the company adopted the name "Doulton". Gradually, the Doulton became widely popular due to the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked with a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces. Subsequently, the company adopted the new markings and the name "Royal Doulton.". In the context of antiques, the term generally refers to the stoneware, decorative bottles, salt glaze sewer pipes, figurines, vases, jugs, and other decorative pieces that the company produced.